Lucky for us, it already had the correct fuel pump in it. The idea of a fuel cell in the back was way to cheesy, so we decided to try to fit two gas tanks underneath. At one point, the entire lift was taken off and sent out to a welder. In order to eliminate an adapter between the 203 and the 4500, we drilled and tapped the front of the 203 to bolt directly to the 4500, using 6 hardened studs. At this stage, Beau headed to his computer. At the same time we were putting everything back in, the truck was completely detailed, buffed, and waxed.
When the parts came back from being coated, it was like Christmas! We cut out the front suspension, along with the old cross-member and all brackets. When the customer took us for a test drive, the only place for us to sit was in the back! We made a custom cross-member that not only rubber mounted to the cases, but also had poly bushings at the sub-frame. It all started when Eric purchased his extended cab Chevy in 93. Due to a tight deadline, the only test drive we had time for was to the gas station and back. Only a few holes were drilled in the frame.
The spare tire holder was cut out, along with the gas tank, leaf springs, brackets, and all existing cross members. We put the filler neck just inside the tailgate, near the wheel-well. All of the parts of the lift kit were sent to Premier Finishing in Stockton Ca. Since it is hard to find a 32 spline 205, we machined the front input of a small bearing 205 case instead. We bolted in the sub-frame using as many existing holes as possible. We opted to use a dual transfer case setup. It was stuffed with a Detroit locker and 7.
We moved the filler from the passenger side to the drivers side, and our factory fill tube worked great. All link brackets were then fabricated and welded on. With the majority of the suspension done, we moved to the transmission and transfer cases. It mates the front half of a Chevy 203 transfer case to a complete Chevy 205 transfer case. For extra support, a removable strut bar was bent up to go over the top of the motor and connect the two shock towers. We also removed the spare tire mount, and welded in a permanent cross member in the rear of the frame.
The strut tower was bolted in with poly bushings in order to accommodate frame flex. Once everything was designed, we went to work. We ordered the dual case adapter from Off-Road Designs. We had Thomas Hydraulics in Chico do the bending. . We also re-enforced the frame in the front and rear where the bumpers mounted.
This would make our overall crawl ratio around 150:1. We called up Speedway Motors and ordered a sway bar with ends. The front clip and bed were put back on, and the truck was rolled outside to test the flex. In addition to carrying 1993 Chevy Truck parts, we have parts for all Chevrolet Truck models available. Once we had the pieces, we welded them all together.
This would allow us to remove the two sub frames as two separate units. The Yukon would be in its 2nd year of production under its newly branded name. Eric was never known to take it easy on his truck. Once the drive lines were in, we took it for a ride. All loose steel components of the lift kit were cleaned and prepped for powder coat. Over the next 10 years, Eric broke and bent just about everything you could imagine on his Chevy.
Instead of attaching to the frame, they were welded to the new sub-frame. At this point, we pondered what to do with the frame. Every joint was gusseted and re-welded. With the links in place, we bent up the front shock hoops that would hold our 2. It was designed with the same basic concepts of a radius arm setup. The lower link mounts were fabricated from quarter inch steel, while the upper mount was fabricated from tubing. Tubing inserts were welded in for the 1.
It was finally time to strip the entire truck down for final paint and powder coat. By modeling the suspension first, we were able to run it through its motions, and tweak it one way or the other. After pressure washing the mud from the inside of the frame rails, we began to construct our sub-frames. Other: Too much to list. For the drivelines, we called up Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts. After hours of grinding, welding, and fitting, the bumpers were done.
We also used a 1410 u-joint at the axle. We also machined the rear output housing of the 205 to accept the factory electronic speed sensor. The 241 transfer case was removed, along with the bed. As we expected, it needed a sway bar. Once again, these pieces needed to be removable. While it was flexed out, we also measured for our bump-stop locations.